Aug.2 (GMM) A cloud continues to hang over the future of the German grand prix.
The Nurburgring's woes meant there was no race in Germany last year, and it appears unlikely the track will be able to resume its alternation deal with the Hockenheim for 2017."2017 is the Norburgring's turn," track chief Georg Seiler told DPA news agency after Hockenheim staged Germany's F1 return last weekend.Seiler had targeted a crowd of at least 60,000 on Sunday to ensure Hockenheim breaks even, but the final figure was just short of that, at 57,000."On the positive side we sold more tickets than in 2014 so the trend is right," he told Stuttgarter Nachrichten newspaper."We already have a contract for 2018 and will comply with it. Then we'll see," Seiler added."A lot of water will flow down the Rhine before 2019," he said.But what about 2017?Seiler said "anything is possible", but only if there is no "risk" that Hockenheim will left with a bill to pay.And he said that goes for 2019 and beyond, as well."Formula one should stay at Hockenheim, but the contract in the future must be that there is no risk," Seiler told the German website motorsport-magazin.com."There are many people within the F1 supply train that make money," he said. "It cannot be that we provide the playground only for others to make money."He said Mercedes has already supported the circuit by way of advertising and marketing."I would be happy if Mercedes wants to continue with us as a formula one partner. I am also thinking of all the suppliers and other companies that are also part of the overall business," added Seiler.
comments powered by Disqus
If you are using Internet Explorer, make sure you set your document mode to IE 8 (Alt+8) or via F12 to see and add comments