Jul.27 (GMM) After a marathon first half of the 2012 season, F1's tired paddock residents are looking forward to a rare five-week break between the end of Sunday's Hungarian grand prix and the resumption of action in September.
The opening eleven grands prix have been arduous for the sport's travelling circus, the schedule having so far already featured six races that were paired 'back-to-back' with another working weekend."It has been difficult with the travel to the double-headers," admitted Force India driver Paul di Resta."It is as important for me as it is for every mechanic and member of the team to get a break."He is looking forward to the whole of August off."I've quite a long time off, so I can concentrate on other things," he told the Scottish Sun. "It will be nice to have a bit of a break."The five-week period will include a mandatory 14-day, cost-cutting factory shutdown for the teams, but championship leader Fernando Alonso is not worried that sojourn will affect Ferrari's momentum."We need time and we need solutions to make the car faster and I think to have a longer period can only be good news for us," said the Spaniard.The August break means the drivers can enjoy the 2012 Olympic Games without the distraction of F1."Yeah, I think I will watch as much as I can," Alonso admitted, "but obviously we are on holiday and if you go to the beach, you are not running to see the sport on TV."There will also be some time for head-scratching, including Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel and his new hair-cut and how he managed to lose 44 points to Alonso already despite racing arguably a better car."I will be thinking about what I could have done better," German Vettel admitted in Hungary. "I think it will take all the weeks," he laughed.
Comments powered by Disqus