Sep.26 (GMM) Despite rubbishing the paddock rumours only hours earlier, Bernie Ecclestone has now admitted he is concerned the inaugural Korean grand prix might not take place next month.
Earlier in Singapore, the F1 chief executive said he and the FIA were "happy" with the Yeongam circuit, despite it not yet passing its final inspection that was originally due to take place weeks ago."It's not good. It should have been inspected maybe six weeks ago," he told BBC pundit Eddie Jordan during an interview on Sunday."It was inspected but it wasn't passed," added the Briton.Ecclestone admitted that delaying the inspection so late - with it now set to take place after the forthcoming Japanese grand prix - was unusual for a new circuit.The post-Suzuka inspection means F1's freight will already be en route to Korea, while the travelling circus will have needed to book air fares and hotels."It's quite dangerous what we've done actually but it's a case of 'do we cancel the race or not?' They say it's all going to be OK, so we hope they are right," Ecclestone said.In another interview on Sunday, Ecclestone told the Associated Press F1 will be "lucky" to avoid turning into a three-race dash to the Abu Dhabi finale."Until it's on there's always concerns, obviously," he said when asked about Korea."We have to get lucky and hope it will happen."