Sep.7 (GMM) A Mercedes spokesman has refused to confirm reports the German manufacturer is set to buy into the Brawn team.
Britain's Daily Telegraph said on Monday that Mercedes-Benz decided against pulling out of McLaren entirely but remains interested in becoming more involved with the former Honda squad."It's our policy not to comment on rumours and we want to point out that we have longstanding contracts with McLaren," said the spokesman.Brawn chief executive Nick Fry last month played down the paddock rumours about the carmaker's switch from McLaren, owned 40 per cent by Mercedes, to the Brackley based team."We have not heard anything about Mercedes being unhappy where they are and we very much hope that they stay involved (with McLaren)," he said.Fry however said subsequently that Brawn has secured its future for the next few years but is not ready to announce the deals."We've signed some nice contracts and those will come out into the open when we launch the car next year," he said.The Daily Telegraph also said Mercedes may forgo receiving payment for its customer engines in exchange for putting its three-pointed star logo on the nose of the 2010 Red Bull car.McLaren, Brawn and Force India will also be powered by Mercedes next year.