Mar.29 (GMM) Talks with Bernie Ecclestone about reviving the Canadian grand prix have taken place, Montreal mayor Gerald Tremblay said on Sunday.
He was responding to reports that the race could return to the calendar this year, as a substitute for the inaugural Abu Dhabi round, whose organisers have reportedly fallen behind schedule amid the global financial crisis."We have been talking with Bernie Ecclestone about it coming back in 2011 and 2010," Tremblay confirmed to the Montreal Gazette.However, he stated that he would be reluctant simply to offer Montreal as a one-off substitute for Abu Dhabi."We don't want to have it just in 2009. We want a long term agreement that respects our ability to pay," said Tremblay.He insists, however, that Montreal organisers would be able to arrange an event this year, with the Melbourne rumours hinting at an October date."We have a lot of good people who have organised the races for many years," he said.Promoters of the traditional Canadian round at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve fell out with F1 chief executive Ecclestone last year over a dispute about race fees.An earlier dispute also saw the other North American round, the United States grand prix at Indianapolis, stage its last race in 2007.